DPP is now accepting manuscripts for our next anthology
WHAT SORT OF FUCKERY IS THIS?
Submission period: November 1, 2018 to January 19, 2019
Theme: general fiction, poetry, memoir, and bad-assery
Please read this entire page if you intend to submit to this awesome anthology.
With WHAT SORT OF FUCKERY IS THIS? we’re looking for compelling tales, poems, and memoirs from any genre, provided they all share one common theme … the title must contain an obscenity.
The Devil’s Party Press editorial staff will select the entries that they determine exemplify solid storytelling. The selected works will be collected and published in the WHAT SORT OF FUCKERY IS THIS? anthology, scheduled for a May 2019 release.
- Devil’s Party Press celebrates the mature writer, so you must be at least forty to submit to this anthology.
- Your submission must fit the theme of fuckery. This means ALL entries must have an obscenity in the title.
- Your submission must be a work of fiction, memoir, or poetry.
- We are not accepting submissions of erotica, children’s literature, religious material, stories of cruelty, or material that moralizes at the reader. Although we are accepting horror, please note that our bi-annual horror anthology is scheduled for a n October 1, 2019, release, so you may want to wait a few months until we open up submissions. Additionally, we are not interested in stories that fall into the realm of “torture porn” so if that’s your thing, please don’t bother. We expect that the majority of our readers will be over the age of 40 and, as such, suggest that your submission appeal to a mature reader rather than teens or young adults.
- Your work must be original, unpublished, and free from libelous material. You will be required to sign a release prior to publication.
- Story/memoir length is 1,000 – 8,000 words. Poetry submissions may contain up to 3 poems of no more than 1,000 words total. A story or memoir of 1,000-8,000 words counts as one entry. A poetry manuscript (1 to 3 poems) of 1,000 words or less counts as one entry.
- Your work must be submitted via email, preferably in Microsoft Word.
- Your work should be publication-ready. This means you are submitting a final version of your work, free of grammatical, spelling, and other errors.
- If your work is selected, you will retain copyright but must grant first publication rights to Devil’s Party Press. This includes digital and paper publications of WHAT SORT OF FUCKERY IS THIS? and reprintings of WHAT SORT OF FUCKERY IS THIS?
- Submission does not guarantee publication.
- Authors are limited to submitting three entries for this anthology. Each entry must include a reading fee (see below for details).
- Devil’s Party Press reserves right to edit for grammar and spelling and to make developmental edits as we deem necessary; writers will be given an opportunity to review and collaborate on changes before publication.
- Submissions will be accepted from Thursday, November 1, 2018 until 11:59 PM PST, Saturday, January 19, 2019 (entries received at or after 12:01 AM PST, January 19, 2019, will not be considered and the submission fee will be returned to the payee).
- Each entry must be accompanied by a $10 fee. This means that two entrees requires a $20 fee and three entries, a $30 fee. No more than three entries per author. Up to 3 poems may be submitted for a single entry fee of $10.
- Submissions will be selected for publication based on a variety of factors including the creativity of the submission, the quality of writing, and fit with the theme, as determined by Devil’s Party Press editorial staff.
HOW TO SUBMIT TO THIS ANTHOLOGY
email your story to: firstname.lastname@example.org In your email and manuscript file, state your preferred author name, your contact information including phone and email, and the title of your submission. Attach your submission to the email as a Word or Pages doc/file only.
Submit payment via the secure DPP online shop at time of article submission by clicking the “Submit Now” button found below:
Devil’s Party Press specializes in publishing authors over the age of forty and publishing unique and emerging voices in fiction, we aim to help our fellow late bloomers find an advantage in the market.
Our press is local to Delaware, has won awards in the state, and has a following of local readers, book clubs, etc. We want to bring more than your work to our community; we want to make you a part of our funky artist community in Milton and the whole “Eastern Shore” area. We have also begun to build a network of international authors and are excited to feature talents from all corners of the Earth.
Following publication, you will be invited to attend a launch party, and we will actively promote the anthology, and you, through our networking channels including our website.
- Please format your manuscript in Times New Roman 12 pt, double-spaced, no headers or footers.
- We are serious about word count, so when we say 1,000 to 8,000 words we do not mean 8,500 words. Entries that do not adhere to the word count limit are subject to immediate disqualification.
- We strive to publish authors over forty. We won’t ask you for identification, but please recognize that our aim as a publisher is to focus on older authors who may be new to publishing.
- You will be notified within a few days of submitting your manuscript and payment that we have received your work via an email. If you don’t receive a response, please confirm that we received your entry.
- The deadline is non-negotiable. If you wait until the last minute to submit your entry, there is little to no margin for error (email problems, word count, etc.). To be fair to all entrants, the deadline is firm. No exceptions.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Is There an Age Minimum for the Writer?
Submissions are open to authors ages forty and older. We specialize in publishing older authors. Authors under the age of forty are encouraged to contact us after they age a bit more, like a wonderful cheese.
How Do I Submit My Work to WHAT SORT OF FUCKERY IS THIS?
Between 11.01.18 and 01.19.19, email your story/memoir/poetry (as an attachment in Microsoft Word or Pages) to email@example.com. There is a $10 entry fee for each piece submitted, and you may submit a maximum of three stories/memoirs, or three poetry submissions of no more than 1000 words each. Payment should be sent at the time of submission via our secure online store by clicking on the “Submit Now” button, conveniently found below:
Stories or memoir (up to three per writer) of 1,000 to 8,000 words, and poetry of up to 1,000 words. Work should be creative, engaging, and related to the theme WHAT SORT OF FUCKERY IS THIS? as described above.
What Types of Stories Do You Accept?
We are seeking engaging stories of fiction or memoir, or poems. We are not accepting: erotica, children’s stories, stories of cruelty, religious material, stories that moralize or editorialize, torture porn.
I Really Wanted to Submit My Manuscript by the Deadline but My Computer Died Unexpectedly. Can’t You Cut Me Slack?
The deadline is 11:59 PM PST, January 19, 2019. No exceptions. Emails are time stamped, and if your submission arrives AFTER the deadline, it will not be read and your submission will be fee returned. For your own peace of mind, DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE TO SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY. Seriously, we can’t emphasize this enough.
Will I Receive a Critique of My Story?
At this time we do not expect to be able to provide individual feedback on manuscripts not selected for publication.
Can I Submit a Story in Genres of Horror, Science Fiction, Fantasy, etc?
Most genres are acceptable. We do not accept children’s stories, erotica, editorial, religious material, or torture porn. Additionally, please work to submit original ideas.
How Do You Select Manuscripts for Inclusion?
The DPP editorial staff will read and review all manuscripts submitted to WHAT SORT OF FUCKERY IS THIS?, an anthology to be published in paperback format and digital format in May 2019 by Devil’s Party Press. We are looking for well-written, original, creative, and engaging works. DPP staff will select the top-three entries, and these will receive the first three spots in the anthology.
Each published author will receive one complimentary paperback copy of WHAT SORT OF FUCKERY IS THIS? and can participate in launch events and book signings/readings. Additionally, these authors can purchase additional copies at a thirty-percent discount. Note that authors are never required to purchase copies of the anthology unless they so choose.
Why an Obscenity-laden Anthology?
We strive to celebrate the mature writer. You’ve lived, Baby. Now show us.
The theme is designed to ignite your imagination while still allowing you to flex your creative muscles. Our goal is for a central theme to emerge in the final product. The theme is open to your individual interpretation, but fitting within the theme is among the criteria.
How Do I WOW the Editors?
The editors are seeking creative voices and strong writing. You are limited to 8,000 words, so choose those words carefully to tell the best tales possible.
Is My Entry Fee Refundable?
Entry fees received before the deadline are non-refundable.
Where Should I Include My Name and Contact Information?
Include your name and contact information (address and phone number) in the body of your email message and within you manuscript submission.
Will You Confirm Receipt of My Submission?
Yes. We acknowledge all entries via email as quickly as possible. If you have not received an email to confirm that we have received your submission within one-week’s time, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How Are Authors Notified?
Authors will be notified by February 1, 2019. If your entry is not chosen, you will be notified via email on or around this same time. Be sure to check your spam folders.
Any other words of advice?
Best of luck, but remember . . . good writing is no accident.